Catching up

I kept saying that our last move was the easiest…and part of the reason was I was much more laid back this move.

Some items I’ve unpacked which gave me pause:
downey ball with downey inside…didn’t leak
iron was packed with water inside…didn’t leak
forgot to take the batteries out of all Max’s toys that went into storage for two years…wonder how they’ll fare…
several aerosol cans were brought…paint included
some matches and household lighter were packed

Guess I have a few more items to put on my before-the-movers-come list.

I’ve finally found time to get to that stack of papers with bits and pieces of Max’s life…I’ve been meaning to blog them forever:

The week we arrived (Feb 11) Max started saying "oh goodness, Mama" instead of "bless you" whenever I sneezed. He’d repeat it until I said "thank you, Max".

The baby bed we had in the Hodja Hotel reminded me of those Russian orphanage beds…it was white metal with really tall sides.

Max started crying when we put him to bed the third night we got here. I think I couldn’t hear him because the walls were so thick so he thought we’d left him. It took us three more nights to convince him we stayed with him all night. I felt kinda bad that I’d been sleeping really well for so many hours at a time. Oh well.

The first time I went to the commissary for groceries I just grabbed 2 1/2-gallons of milk (in the paper carton, no less…our only option), one for us and one for Max. After I got back to the hotel I realized that they were both marked reduced! Even though the commissary is small I assumed that I’d been in the clearance section. I mentioned it to someone else here and they said that it’s just that we get a shipment of milk in every Thursday…so every carton of milk expires on the same day, a week later, so every Wednesday the milk is on it’s last day and is reduced! How crazy!

It seems so funny that we continually recognize commercials from when we were in Spain (02-04). We have a satellite that picks up Armed Forces Network.

Before we left Georgia a sonogram showed that Jack has echo genic foci…don’t really know how to phrase it or what it is, but the doctor wasn’t concerned at all. I just had another ultrasound last Friday and told them about it…everything looks good.

The dryer in the hotel took two hours to dry a regular load!!!! This dryer takes 45 minutes. It’s kinda funny, though. There are three heat settings, then a switch you pull back once for 45 minutes and twice for 90 minutes of drying time. That’s it!

Tj’s the "Safety Man" here on base…just calling him that makes me laugh. He came home during lunch one day and I was making pb&j for me and Max. He asked if I was using Peter Pan pb because he thought it was the brand that was contaminated…he quickly called his office and confirmed the brand with on of the guys there…how funny! It was a little hard to take him seriously after that. :-)

One good thing about this base is that we have a Baskin Robbins here, but a bad thing is that they have no malt!!!

Feb 22nd I was singing "What’ll I do?" to Max and when I got to the word ‘trouble’ in the song he looked up at me and said "I’m trouble, Mama".

That same day was the first time he told me he needed something…we were walking to the hospital and he said "I need my sunglasses, Mama, I NEED my sunglasses". It made me laugh that he always said it twice and always really emphasized the second need. Now he only says it once, but he uses it all day long.

Feb 7th he started calling me Pama just to tease me. When Tj came home and I told him that he called Max Bax so Max called Tj Tatty. Silly kid!

In the last couple of weeks he’s been saying ‘up-my-side-down’ for ‘upside down’. He doesn’t always get the usage right, but he’ll get there.

In Georgia he used to get in his car and come to me and say "wee-wise" (french fries)…he was playing drive-through. Heh. He doesn’t do that anymore…there are no drive-throughs on base of any kind.

When we first got here he used to say ‘ta-kit" for ketchup…I’d let him have a tiny bit to dip his fries in occasionally. Now he uses that for chocolate. Yesterday he told Foots (one of Tj’s guys) "I need ta-kit Mr. Foots".

When he first mentioned the guy calling the Muslims to prayer he kept saying that the guy was on the phone. I told him that he was just talking really loud…singing a prayer song. About a week ago he asked me to sing a prayer song as I was putting him to bed so I sang the doxology….he asks for it every nap and bedtime now. Sweet.

Join the Conversation


  1. Hey, that’s so sweet- the doxology thing. We sing a hymn every night at bed and it’s so sweet to hear 5, 3 and 1 y/o voices sing together!

    I told Rick I was honored by your phone calls! Sorry I haven’t been home when you called. But I think I’ll be home for a while (unless we get a loaner van from the Honda place)— new transmission needed (but should be under warranty!).

    Hope ya’ll are doing well and hope to talk to you soon…give me your phone number next time you call if I don’t answer!


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *